Bat Exclusion Case Study
Getting rid of a small colony of small brown bats from a two-story colonial house with attached garage
In this case study we will profile a typical bat exclusion procedure with a small number of bats.
BatGuys performed this bat exclusion in May of 2005. The primary complaint from the customer was bat guano on the roof that was trickling down onto his porch below — a very common complaint. The combination of bat guano and urine was enough to eat the paint off certain areas of the trim-boards and siding, as you can see in the photos below.
After conducting a thorough inspection of the attic and the exterior of the house I determined the following:
- The colony we were dealing with was small brown bats. This was early in the year for small browns and the first job in 2005 in which we encountered this type of bat.
- The bats had not yet gained access to the attic of the house. The bats were roosting behind the trim boards and also under the chimney flashings.
The solution we proposed was a complete bat exclusion service. Even though the bats were not yet in the attic I felt that they would indeed gain access once they were evicted from their roosting areas on the exterior of the house. The customer accepted our proposal for the bat removal project and we went to work.
My partner and I installed multiple bat-valves on the exterior of the house to ensure that all the bats would be able to exit their roosts easily and not be harmed in the process. Once the bat-valves were all correctly installed we bat-proofed the entire structure, sealing every possible area that a bat could use to get back into the exterior roosts or the attic.
That night when the bats left their roosts to feed, they passed through the bat-valves and were permanently excluded. Within two days of completing the job the house was completely rid of bats and as of this writing none have returned.
We returned to this house approximately one month later to remove the bat-valves and complete the job.
This project ended with a successful exclusion and a satisfied customer. Here are some photos from the project: