Providence Bat Removal Case-Study
Contemporary Colonial, Large Colony of Big Brown Bats
In this case study we will profile a bat exclusion procedure involving a large number of large brown bats.
BatGuys performed this bat exclusion in May of 2005. The primary complaints from the customer were bats that were coming down into the house at night from the attic and the large amount of bat guano that was accumulating in the attic at the base of the chimney.
After conducting a thorough inspection of the attic and the exterior of the house, we determined the following:
- The colony we were dealing with was made up of large brown bats. I was able to determine the species of bat in this case because they were easily visible in the gap between the chimney and the rafters of the attic, as shown in the above photo. This was a typical scenario for large brown bats that were just becoming active after hibernating all winter.
- The bats had gained access to the attic of the house through a small gap in the chimney flashings. This situation was unique in that the entire colony had gained access to the attic through a very small ¾ inch gap shown in the picture below. That was the only active entry point in the structure.
- Accessing the area which the bats were using would be difficult due to three-story heights, steep roofs and the need for multiple ladders.
The solution we proposed was a complete bat exclusion service. The customer accepted our proposal and we went to work.
My partner and I carefully installed one bat-valve on the exterior of the house to ensure that all the bats would be able to exit the attic easily and not be harmed in the process. Once the bat-valve was correctly installed we bat-proofed the entire structure, sealing every possible area that a bat could use to get back into the exterior roosts and/or attic. That night, when the bats left the attic to feed, they passed through the bat-valve and were permanently excluded. Within three days of completing the job all the bats were gone and as of this writing have not returned.
This project ended with a successful exclusion and a satisfied customer. Here are some photos: