Squirrel Removal in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
One of the most common squirrel removal services we provide is for squirrels in the attic. During certain times of the year squirrels will enter homes and attics through existing holes or they will chew their way through weakened areas of roofs, vents and soffits to gain access to a warm safe attic. Once inside, squirrels can cause significant damage. Some of the most common forms of squirrel damage associated with squirrel infestation are:
- Damaged and shredded insulation.
- Feces and urine deposits.
- Stains in ceilings from squirrel urine.
- Strong odor from urine-soaked insulation.
The most serious danger associated with having squirrels in your attic is a fire hazard. Squirrels are destructive by nature and like all rodents they chew on electrical wiring. By chewing on wires they strip the plastic coating, which exposes the bare copper wire and creates a very dangerous situation.
This can all be avoided by having the squirrels removed from your attic and squirrel-proofing your house to make sure they don't return.
Squirrels in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are constantly getting themselves into trouble. They are mischievous by nature and are always falling down chimneys, getting stuck in woodstoves, falling down walls and squeezing their way into places where they shouldn't be. We have removed squirrels from just about every part of a house at one point in time. I will never understand how I can get four calls for squirrels in fireplaces in a 90-minute period and not get another one for a month!
Proven Squirrel Removal Techniques Give Massachusetts Residents Back Their Peace and Quiet
"It sounded like a party in my attic!" "We were unwillingly running a bed and breakfast in our eaves." If you've made comments like these, you're not alone. These are actual testimonials from clients who have gotten their peace and quiet back after using gray and flying squirrel removal services from The BatGuys.
While many people think squirrels are adorable, clever little creatures, homeowners across Massachusetts know them to be destructive, dangerous, loud and annoyingly persistent pests. Squirrels can cause significant damage now and can leave your home vulnerable to fire hazards later on. Then there is the constant, nightly racquet you have to endure. Once you discover you have an infestation, call us immediately to discuss how to get rid of squirrels.
Did You Know...
- Massachusetts is home to both the gray and flying squirrels?
- Exterminators only get rid of existing squirrels?
- Squirrel removal is a temporary solution? Squirrel proofing is required to keep pests from returning.
Did You Also Know Squirrels...
- Leave feces and urine deposits in your attic and eves?
- Cause damaged, shredded and smelly insulation?
- Cause urine stains on your ceilings?
- Gnaw through wiring causing fire hazards?
- Chew large holes in your roof, gables, siding and more?
- Cause hundreds of dollars worth of damage?
Gray Squirrel Removal
The native gray squirrels in our area are the most common squirrels. These are the squirrels that you see on the road and in your yard during the daylight hours. The most common symptoms of a gray squirrel infestation are scratching and chewing noise in walls, floors and ceilings during the early morning hours and then again at dusk. Gray squirrels are very destructive. These are the squirrels that chew large holes in houses and will often chew wiring in attics creating fire hazards. Did you know gray squirrels:
- Are generally the most destructive squirrels in our area.
- Chew their way into corners, gutters and eves to get into attics.
- Have schedules similar to humans...Leave attic in the am and return just before dark.
- Chew wiring and HVAC equipment in attics.
Flying Squirrel Removal
Flying squirrels, or "flyers" as they're commonly called, are very interesting animals. They have a skin-like membrane that connects at their wrists and ankles. This allows them to jump from trees and houses and glide for long distances. Most customers we run into do not even know that they exist. Flying squirrels are completely nocturnal so they are very rarely seen. These squirrels spend the daylight hours resting comfortably in the insulation of your attic. About an hour after sunset the squirrels will emerge from the attic to go out and feed in the wooded areas that surround your home. Throughout the night the squirrels will come and go while collecting food and socializing with the other squirrels. This causes quite a commotion and can keep you awake throughout the night. The most common symptom of a flying squirrel infestation is scratching and scampering noises in the middle of the night. Flying squirrels are found in great numbers in Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Northwestern RI, and Metro West Boston are two areas that we get a lot of flying squirrel calls from. Did you know that flying squirrels:
- Are found throughout most of Eastern Massachusetts.
- Are completely nocturnal (only active at night).
- Are found in colonies of up to 30-40 squirrels in attics.
- Most common complaint is noise in ceilings and walls during the night.
Squirrel Removal and Squirrel Proofing
I frequently have customers call and ask me how to get rid of squirrels. The only permanent solution to a squirrel infestation is to have your home squirrel-proofed. Setting traps and removing trapped squirrels is a temporary solution at best. If the access points the squirrels were using are not properly sealed you will have more squirrels return to the same areas, I promise. In some cases squirrel-proofing is as simple as sealing one small hole after all the squirrels have been removed. In other more complex cases the squirrels can be actively using four or five different holes in your roof and there can be five or six more potential entry points that are just waiting for a squirrel to chew a hole in them. All these areas must be properly sealed, but only when we are 100% certain that all squirrels have been removed from the house and attic. You never want to seal off a squirrel hole while the squirrels are inside. I've seen cases where this has happened and the trapped squirrels have chewed their way right into the family's living room in an effort to get out!
We have a very successful process that we use to rid houses and attics of squirrels. We also have a proven track record of solving difficult squirrel problems that other companies could not. Contact us to discuss your squirrel probelm.
If you have squirrels in the attic don't wait until it's too late, call the squirrel exterminators, call the Batguys!
Squirrel Removal and Squirrel Proofing
With years of experience in squirrel removal, we're able to confidently offer you the Bat Guys comprehensive one-year warranty. Should squirrels re-infest your home during the warranty period, we will return to make necessary repairs at no cost to you.
If you have squirrels in the attic don't wait until it's too late. Call the squirrel exterminators... call the BatGuys! We'll arrange for an inspection of your home. You'll get everything in writing, including the complete cost for squirrel removal and squirrel proofing of your home.
Squirrel Removal Video – Squirrel trapped in a chimney
Squirrel Removal Facts
- 95% of our squirrel removal projects are resolved within 3 days.
- Gray squirrels can chew through vinyl siding, lead flashing, thin gauge aluminum and even galvanized screening in some cases.
- Flying squirrels are often found residing in attics with bats. The two animals seem to get along rather well.
- Red squirrels will often enter the stone foundations of older houses.
- Chipmunks are ground-dwelling squirrels and cannot climb very well. Very rarely do we get calls for them inside houses. When they do get into houses they usually show up in the basement and they usually enter through large holes in foundation of the home.
- Gray squirrels have schedules similar to humans. They leave their nests in the morning to go out and forage for food during the day and return late in the afternoon. Many of our squirrel removal customers will tell us that they hear the squirrels at dawn and then again at dusk on a daily basis.
- Flying squirrels are late-night party animals. They emerge from attics after dusk and will return to the attic sporadically throughout the night.
- It is not uncommon for us to remove 8-19 gray squirrels during a squirrel removal service from a single family home in the spring.
- Trimming tree branches is the best preventative measure a homeowner can take to prevent a gray squirrel problem.
- Squirrels live throughout the BatGuys service area, but for specific information on squirrels in the Boston metropolitan area, please see our Boston squirrel removal page.
- For information on squirrels and flying squirrels in Providence and the rest of Rhode Island, see our page on Rhode Island squirrel removal.
- We also have a page on identifying squirrel damage in your home.
- Squirrel Removal FAQ
- Home Inspections
- Do NOT block off a squirrel's hole
- Black Squirrels in Massachusetts - Pictures of black squirrels